Friday, April 9, 2010

Cucumber Soup with Sourdough Bread


Cold Cucumber Soup
Ingredients
4 cucumbers, peeled, halved, and seeded
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups buttermilk
Salt and pepper

Directions
Cut 1 of the cucumber into 1/4-inch cubes and reserve. Process the remaining 3 cucumbers, sour cream, dill, sugar, mustard, and garlic in a blender (or food processor) until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl or container. Stir in the buttermilk and reserve cubed cucumber. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 30 minutes (or up to 6 hours). Season again with salt and pepper to taste.

You can add in a pound of cooked shrimp, which I did, for a great addition. Make sure to eat this all the same day as it does not save well.

This soup wasn't that bad. I really think it would have been better if I used actual buttermilk rather than the milk and vinegar substitute. I think using buttermilk would have made it a little more thick and not so bubbly. The shrimp went perfect in this and was my favorite part!

I had planned to make a rosemary focaccia bread to go with, however.... this simple soup turned into a great TV episode of me making a fool of myself. There is a reason we have directions, so that people like me will follow them! I had put the buttermilk in the processor when I should have poured the soup into a bowl and THEN add the buttermilk. Well since I hadn't read all the way through the directions I went ahead and tried processing the milk with the soup. It didn't even all fit. I'm sure you can imagine what happened. It was like a scene out of a movie.. the kid forgets to put the lid to the blender on, milkshake everywhere. Or in my case, cucumber soup. Did I learn from this? Of course not. I did it 2 more times. Oy vey!

By the time I cleaned this all up and put the soup in the fridge to cool, I was spent. So instead of the goodness that is known as focaccia bread I settled for sourdough bread and butter. A little too much sourdough bread! But man to I love my breads :)

Anyone else gone through cooking experiences like mine!?


2 comments:

Christina said...

only you emily, only you

Iva Messy said...

omg!!! wow!!! sounds fab!!! great job!! {lol I love vinegar so I'm fine with the substitute lol }