Thursday, October 23, 2014

Chocolate banana muffins

I've been in the baking mood the last few days and knew it had to be something with banana since I had some to use. And for those who know me, yes pumpkin would have been included but I was out. Shocking I know ha.

I was planning to go with a basic banana muffin recipe but came across this from www.texanerin.com/2014/03/chocolate-banana-muffins.html (I'm on my phone so I can't put it in a more visually appealing link). I did have to change it a little to work with what I had.. But they still turned okay. 

This is the original recipe, with my notes included. It makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients

  • 2 medium super ripe bananas (each banana was 185 grams with the peel and 143 grams without) **I would add a third banana next time, couldn't really taste it at all**
  • ⅓ cup (106 grams) honey **I am out of honey so I used a half cup of coconut sugar. Worked just fine for flavor but the moistness of the honey is definitely missing**
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs 
  • ¼ cup (56 grams) refined coconut oil, melted1
  • 200 grams (~2 cups but please weigh!) blanched almond flour **Whole wheat flour**
  • 3 tablespoons (27 grams) coconut flour **Unbleached white**
  • ⅓ cup (42 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • ¼ teaspoon salt 
  • 1 cup (180 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for dairy-free) **Cocoa nibs**
  • additional mini chocolate chips for sprinkling, if desired
Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the bottom of a glass. They should almost be like a puree.
  3. Add the honey and vanilla and stir.
  4. Add in the eggs and oil and stir until well combined.
  5. In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
  6. Stir just until combined and then stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and sprinkle on additional chocolate chips, if desired.
  8. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to confuse a melted chocolate chip with the batter.
  9. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

No comments: